“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”
My name is Paul Siegel. Here’s a summary of my life so far.
- 1984 - 2003: Dude who grew up in Lansing, Michigan. Enjoyed math, programming, postmodern critical theory, and long walks not on the beach.
- 2003 - 2007: Undergraduate at the University of Michigan, double majoring in math and more math. No, I never went to a single football game.
- 2007 - 2012: PhD student in mathematics at Penn State studying geometry, topology, and operator algebras under John Roe. Still never went to a football game.
- 2012 - 2015: Assistant professor of mathematics at Columbia University - similar research interests as above, but with a dash of geometry / probability theory on large graphs.
- 2015 - Present: Data scientist at Brandwatch using techniques from graph theory and machine learning to understand Twitter. Recreationally rants at marketers about social media.
I’m using this site to organize my thoughts about math, data science, software development, and life (roughly in that order). Use the navigation bar to the right if you would like to learn more.